What people should do if their third-round Economic Impact Payments are missing or incorrect

In 2021, the IRS issued more than 175 million third-round Economic Impact Payments, totaling over $400 billion. Most eligible people already received the full amount of their credit in advance and don’t need to include any information about this payment when they file their 2021 tax return.

As required by law, the IRS is no longer issuing third-round Economic Impact Payments. People who are missing a stimulus payment or received less than the full amount may be eligible to claim a recovery rebate credit on their 2021 federal tax return.

To claim a recovery rebate credit, individuals need the amount of their third-round Economic Impact Payment.

Here’s how people can see if they were sent a third-round Economic Impact Payment and check the amount.

  • Individuals can check their bank accounts to see whether they received a third-round payment, and any plus-up payments, in advance last year.
  • Check their IRS Online Account. For married individuals who received a joint payment, each spouse will need to log into their own Online Account for their portion of the payment. The 2021 Tax Records tab will show the total amount of the third payments received including any plus-up payments. Any plus-up payment will not be shown separately.
  • Review Notice 1444-C or Letter 6475, Your 2021 Economic Impact Payment. Married individuals filing jointly will each have a letter with their portion.

What individuals should do if they are missing a payment.

Individuals who didn’t receive a third-round payment should contact the IRS as soon as possible to see if a payment trace is needed. It may be needed if their IRS Online Account shows a payment they didn’t receive or they received a notice or letter indicating they were issued a payment. People do not need to wait until their payment trace is complete to file their 2021 tax return. They can use the information from their Notice 1444-C, Letter 6475 or their Online Account to file.

If the individual’s calculation does not match the IRS calculation, the processing of the tax return will be delayed. The IRS will adjust the recovery rebate credit amount will be adjusted to match IRS records and the individual will receive a notice that includes a telephone number to call if they disagree with the change to the tax return.

If an individual hasn’t received a third-round payment or any information from the IRS, they should check their eligibility. If they’re eligible, they may claim the recovery rebate credit on their 2021 return.

Taxpayers don’t need to amend their return if they made a mistake calculating their credit amount.
People who claimed the wrong amount of the recovery rebate credit don’t need to file an amended return. The IRS will correct their return and send a notice that includes a telephone number to contact if they disagree with the change to the tax return.